This is a guest post. If you would like to write for Becoming Press then please consider submitting a guest post here. You may read about the author at the end of the article.
What is desire ? What is delight ? Do they mean the same ? According to Webster’s New World Dictionary and Thesaurus ” desire “ means to long for, crave, to ask for; a wish. The word ” delight ” means to give great pleasure to, to be highly blessed.
Does God want us to get everything we ask for, or only His will for us ? Sometimes, it is better not to ask for something, because it may not really be what we want, or God’s will for us. If we ask God for something, He already knows what we need before it turns into a Prayer.
God is definitely not our ” Genie in a bottle.” Although, sometimes we act as though He is.
” Give me, give me, give me ” are not words God wants to hear.
- He wants our praise ( to express approval or admiration of )
- He wants our love ( strong affection or liking for someone or something )
- He wants our companionship / friendship.
- He wants to know that we want Him and that we search for Him.
Then, when He sees us looking for Him and not wanting anything, or anyone else, more than Him; He will give us the desires of our heart. As long as our desires are His desires for us. In other words, His will for us.
We will never be able to love Him or give to Him more than He loves or gives to us.
We can never ” pay Him back.”
It has been said that , “you can never out give God.”
God is a loving, giving, kind, forgiving Father who is not out to ” zap us like a lightening strike ” whenever we do or say something wrong.
- He is sad when we are sad.
- He cares deeply when His loved ones die. Psalm 116:15
- He sings over us when we sleep. Zephaniah 3:17 NIV
- We may not be able to see Him in the flesh, bet He always sees us.
- He always wants the best for us.
- Whenever we Pray, He hears us.
- Whenever we ask Him for the desires of our heart, we need to make sure they line up with God’s desires for us.
Are your desires the will of The Father, or out of the selfish desires of your unsaved flesh ?
God Delights In You.
About the Author: Peggy J. Dorman
I am a Christian, wife of 46 years, mother of four grown sons and Grandmother of six Grandsons and four Granddaughters. I am the “mommy Packleader of two black Cocker Spaniels: Toner and Scarlet. I love Knitting and Crochet and sewing, playing my Guitar and Ukelele. Walking, biking, shopping.
In this four week mini Bible Study you will examine your faith and what it means to have faith in God. When we believe in God we then learn to walk in faith and trust God. But first we must believe, and it’s up to us, we can either choose to believe in Him or not. But faith will mean nothing until we believe with all our heart that God is who He says He is.
5 STAR AMAZON REVIEW: “I really enjoyed this mini study. I like when things make you think and journal and you can focus on one aspect at a time. It was a great study.”